Home > Our Family > Direct School Admission
Direct School Admission
Direct School Admission (DSA) 2019
Direct School Admission for secondary schools (DSA-Sec) allows students to apply for a place in the school based on their talents and achievements.
Yuhua Secondary School will be offering Direct School Admission in the following areas of talent:
• Volleyball (Sports)
• Concert Band (Learning for Life Programme)
• Tinkering & Robotics Club (Applied Learning Programme)
We invite students who wish to grow their talent and passion in these areas to become a part of our Yuhua family in 2020.
Parents and students are encouraged to choose schools wisely based on the student’s aptitudes and strengths, bearing in mind the schools’ academic and non-academic requirements, and the programmes available to develop the area of talent.
1. Have represented their primary school in Singapore Youth Festival, SPSSC National School Games, or other equivalent competitions related to the talent area which they are applying for.
2. Display positive attributes such as initiative, leadership, discipline and teamwork through teacher’s (primary school) remarks, and have a Good conduct grading in their latest Holistic Development Profile.
Talent Specific Criteria
1. Demonstrates strong potential in Volleyball
2. Has represented school in competitions and obtained achievements in zonal/national level
3. Is medically/physically fit (possesses minimally a Bronze in NAPFA from P5 onwards)
1. Ability to play a relevant musical instrument for the Concert Band
2. Has participated in local/international competition, festival or performance (eg: SYF, SIBF, SNYO, National Day Parade, Mosaic Music Festival)
3. Attainment of certification in woodwind or brass instrument/Music exams i.e. ABRSM is preferred though not compulsory
Tinkering & Robotics Club
1. Demonstrates strong passion for, and motivation in coding and/or robotics
2. Possesses computational-thinking skills or basic programming knowledge in Arduino (Sketch) or LEGO Mindstorm
3. Has participated in local/international coding-related competitions e.g. National Junior Robotics Competition, First Lego League, National Robopreneur Carnival
HOW TO APPLY
The application period is from 8 May 2019, 9.00am to 4 Jun 2019, 3.00pm
From 2019, application for DSA-Sec can be submitted through the online DSA-Sec Portal. The application is free-of-charge and will be open from 8 May to 4 Jun 2019. For more details, please refer to MOE website – www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/direct-admissions/dsa-sec
- Applicants to submit their application on the online DSA-Sec Portal
|9.00am, 8 May 2019 - 3.00pm, 4 June 2019|
- Applicants will undergo a trial/ audition session where they will be assessed on their skills and potential in the area they applied for. More details on the trial/ audition can be found in the table below.
|1 July 2019 - 7 Aug 2019|
- Applicants who successfully clear the trial/ audition will be notified to attend an interview with the School Leaders and/ or the Subject Head (CCA)
|12 Aug 2019 - 23 Aug 2019|
- The school will send a letter to all applicants to inform them of the outcome of the DSA-SEC exercise which fall into three categories:
- Confirmed Offer (CO)
- Wait List (WL)
|30 Aug 2019|
|Exercise School Preference|
- Applicants with CO or WL offer from Yuhua Secondary School will have to log onto the DSA-SEC portal to indicate their preference of schools. They may indicate up to 3 school preferences.
- Applicants given a 'Confirmed Offer' are guaranteed admission if they:
- Indicate the school during the School Preference Submission
- Qualify for an academic course offered by the school (i.e. Express, Normal (Academic), Normal (Technical) based on PSLE results.
|9.00am, 21 Oct 2019 - 3.00pm, 25 Oct 2019|
Successful DSA-Sec candidates are NOT allowed to participate in the Secondary One (S1) Posting Exercise. However, if they are eligible for third language and/or course options, they may enter these options during the S1 Option Submission period.
Successful DSA-Sec candidates are NOT allowed to transfer to another school after the release of the PSLE results. They are expected to honour the commitment to the posted DSA schools for the duration of the programme they are admitted to.
For further queries, you may contact Mr Wilfred Yan (SH/CCA) at 6566 1985 or email: email@example.com
Details of Trial/ Audition
|Applicants will be assessed in the following area:|
1. Ball Control (Forearm receive/ Setting)
3. Spiking a set ball (Pri School Senior Boys/ Girls Height Net)
4. Game Awareness/ Decision Making in a team game setting
5. Sprint/ Agility Test
6. Vertical reach (Standing reach, Dual handed Blocking Jump, Spike Jump)
|Applicants should be able to play at least 2 major scales with good tone on their instrument of choice from the instruments listed below:|
Brass: Tuba, Trombone, Euphonium, Horn & Trumpet
Woodwinds: Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone
1. Perform a relevant piece selected by the Teacher-In-Charge and sight-reading of score
2. Percussionists can demonstrate rhythmic and pulse precision on the snare drum
|Tinkering & Robotics Club|
|Applicants will be assigned a robotics (Mindstorms)/ coding (Sketch/ Arduino) related task to complete within a stipulated period, and the quality of their submissions should demonstrate computational thinking skills and/ or basic programming knowledge|
It would be preferred, though not compulsory for the applicant to bring along the following items for the audition session.
- Portfolio of coding related projects
- Relevant certificates and achievements